United Airlines Pet Policy
Are you traveling with United Airlines and want your pet to accompany you? Well, your pet is most welcome to accompany you on the flight. United Airlines completely understands that you are close to your pet and consider it your family. United Airlines is ready to serve you and help you to travel with your beloved pet.
However, United Airlines Pet Policy follows the rules which a normal pet policy must follow. They have to be fulfilled, no matter what the situation is. United Airlines ranks as the best airline for the east coast travel for pets.
Pets to travel by flights are required to be small to fit in the space under the seat for in-cabin travels. Additionally, the animals that are not small enough to fit in are transferred by Pet Safe Program. In such a situation, you leave your pet at the airport. And after that, you receive it once you have reached your destination. It is a very safe journey for the animals. They are taken care of very well. They are boarded in just before take-off so that they don’t get suffocated. If there is any halt, your pets will be shifted to care shelter on the airport or some other private space for rest. All in all, your pets would remain in the best hands and be taken good care of during the flight.
What animals eligible for in-cabin travels?
For in-cabin travels, the pets are supposed to fit in these criteria-
- A pet that is traveling in the cabin should be carried in a hard or soft-sided kennel only. The kennel should remain under the seat at all times during the flight.
- The size for hard-sided kennels should be 17.5 inches x 12 inches x 7.5 inches (44 cm x 30 cm x 19 cm).
- The size of a soft-sided kennel should be 18 inches x 11 inches x 11 inches (46 cm x 28 cm x 28 cm).
- Airlines also ask for a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (health certificate) issued before ten days of travel.
- It is a rule by the federal regulations that the pet should be at least eight weeks old on the travel day and trained well for their feeding schedules for a minimum of 5 days before the travel.
- The maximum weight of a pet should not cross the limit of 20 pounds for in-cabin travel.
What are in-cabin animals?
Domestic cats and dogs are allowed for in-cabin travels. In-cabin pets are to be carried as carry-on baggage, and an extra amount of $125 is to be paid for a one-way trip. Pets are to travel on the same flight as their owners’ flight. Pets are to be ensured that they are fit to travel. Unfit or sick, mentally disturbed, or aggressive pets are not allowed to board the flight.
As per the United Airlines Pet Policy, an animal capable of emotional support is eligible to be accompanied on a flight. A dog, a cat, a pot-bellied pig, or a miniature horse can be allowed for in-cabin travel with valid documents.
United Airlines Pet Policy – How to book for your pet?
To book for your pet, you are supposed to inform way ahead of traveling. While booking your tickets on the site and adding the number of passengers, follow the prompt which indicates PETS IN-CABIN. Also, for adding your pet after the flight booking is completed, you can simply go to MANAGE RESERVATIONS on the official website and add the required details of your pet.
NOTE: As per the United Airlines Pet Policy, only four pets are allowed as in-cabin pets in each flight of United Airlines. Any passenger carrying in-cabin pets is to be seated on the window seat to avoid the hassle. The reason behind sitting on the window seat is that there is limited space in the middle and aisle seat to place your pet’s carrier inside.
When and how to check-in?
- It is required to contact the reservations 48 hours before departure.
- You may check-in at the check-in counter.
- Take some extra time for check-in. Pets can be checked-in any time before the four hours of depature.
- Complete the check-in by consulting an agent at the check-in entrance and get a pet tag at the carrier of the pet.
- A health certificate is compulsory to be produced when asked with respect to the health condition of your pet.
There are few restrictions to be followed while carrying an in-cabin pet. The flight you are traveling on should have enough space to be carried in-cabin pet. Passengers carrying in-cabin pets are not to be seated at the emergency exit row or bulkhead.
The Premium Plus class of United Airlines does not allow in-cabin pets as there is not enough storage space.
Premium cabins allow only two pets at a time only in the Boeing Aircrafts.
The economy class allows four in-cabin pets in one flight only.
Every state requires various documents in order to allow the animals to enter the state. While traveling inside the USA, a health certificate is required stating that all the vaccines have been received, and the certificate should not be older than thirty days. If you are to travel by plane along with your pet(s), it is recommended that you check the state’s pet policy where you are going well in advance before traveling, so that your travel remains free of panic.
In-cabin Pet at the Airport-
As soon as you arrive at the airport, contact United Airlines staff for assistance with your in-cabin pet. They will guide you through the entire check-in process. You will be given a yellow tag to be attached to the carrier of your in-cabin pet.
While you are on board, the in-cabin pet is supposed to be kept underneath the seat at all times. There is no compromise regarding this. The pet is not supposed to be taken out of the carrier. The pet is not allowed to be seated at the lap of the passenger or the tray table.
In case the pet is required to pee, you are supposed to carry along a pee mat for the pet. You may carry the pet to the washroom and lay the pee mat for your pet. Once it is done, you are supposed to take the in-cabin pet back to your seat and place it back underneath the seat.
In case of any emergency during the flight, the pet will not be given any oxygen mask.